Yellow Cake from Better Homes & Gardens
This is our go-to recipe for cake and cupcakes. We’ve enjoyed this recipe for many years and are glad to has found it in our Better Homes & Gardens cook book
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cups milk
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Grease and flour two 9 x 1 1/2 inch or 8 x 1/2 inch round cake pans, or one 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar gradually, 1/4 cup at a time until well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Decrease speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes more.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat after adding each egg.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately to mixing bowl and beat on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes for 9 inch pans; 30-35 minutes for 8 inch pans; 25-30 minutes for 13 x 9 x 2 or until wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cakes of wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and cool thoroughly on the wire racks.
- Frost with desired frosting or use my Quick Vanilla Sauce recipe for a super yummy sauce topping!